Are students aware of others when they use technology? Do
students realize how their use of technology affects others?
I think it depends on the student and what we mean by “aware”.
I think in terms of being aware of others online, I think many are. Cyberbullying
is a big issue in today’s world, but the reports of online harassment and
cyberbullying are lower than expected. Per the Pew report, about one-third of
students report experiencing online harassment. This number is not low, but most
students are not reporting it, which implies that most users are aware of
others and their feelings. Looking at being aware of others physically around them
when they are using technology, I believe that many students are not aware of
what is going on around them while they are absorbed by what they are doing
online. There is a lot of negative talk about students and technology, but the
numbers show that students are much more aware of their technology use and its
effects than we are giving them credit for. I also believe that students can be
much more aware than they currently are and we should strive to increase
awareness.
In my article, a situation is discussed where a Northwest
ISD student wrote an online book that details violence and potential murders of
several students who go to the same school. Parents are upset that the student
who wrote the book could stay at the school. I think that this could have been
prevented with education of students about digital etiquette and having a
strong policy in place for dealing with issues of cyberbullying like this. The
school district should allow the students affected to transfer if they are not
going to remove the student who wrote the book from school.
References:
No comments:
Post a Comment